Gina Lujan – Social Entrepreneur
Founding CEO of Hacker Lab and Code For Hood, Gina is a Social Entrepreneur. She focuses on community, business, regional, and economic development at Hacker Lab. Gina possesses 15 years’ technology experience in web development, and is a repurpose maker.
Hacker Lab, having expanded from 750 to over 10k sq. ft. in just six months of being in business, is Gina’s primary focus. It is now home to almost 400 residents and a community of over 3000. It hosts 35 to 50 educational focused user groups and classes a month, totaling over 6000 students a year. In addition, Hacker Lab is home to a constant rotation of 13 private offices for startups and dozens of freelancers. Revenue from companies, freelancers, and entrepreneurs is in the millions annually. In less than three years, Hacker Lab has quickly grown to be a grassroots technology hub for the Sacramento region.
In addition to her entrepreneurial projects, Gina has worked as a consultant with economic development in rural Tuolumne County to assess the region’s innovative community and resources. She also works to solve community problems such as bringing affordable ultra high-speed broadband (gigabit) to the region, filling the gaps in education, and contributes to workforce development efforts by working alongside local government and organizations. She also worked on a stealth project at Northrup Grumman AS as an Innovation Consultant.
Gina was recognized as one of Sacramento Business Journal’s 25 Business Leaders of 2012 and 2013. She also received an International Women’s Day award from the Sacramento Community. In addition, she was named the recipient of the region’s highly regarded 2013’s Women Who Mean Business Award, Regional Economic Leader for 2013, and a national award for Latina of Excellence In Information Sciences and Technology in 2015. She also serves on regional planning committees for, American River College Art New Media Advisory Board, California Foundation Of Community Colleges, and SETA.
Her newest endeavor is Code For Hood, a nonprofit aimed at educating disadvantaged youth by way of hackathons and STEM related workshops.
Her and her teams’ accomplishments include:
- Opening the first hacker and maker space in Sacramento
- Holding Sacramento’s first public hackathon
- Holding the first urban youth hackathon
- Being the first space in the region with a public gigabit Internet connection
- Being the first maker space in the nation to partner with an academic institution to open an innovation space.
- Partnering with VSP to bring the regions first corporate innovation lab here. “The Shop @VSP”
- Working as Innovation Consultants for Intel, AT&T, SMUD, Northrop Grumman, Toyota, City Of Sacramento, City Of Rocklin, City Of Rancho Cordova.
- Creating a badging program for California Community Colleges
- Creating a badging program for City Of Sacramento for youth.
Her speaking engagements include:
- CALED 2013 Summit – The Power Community Spaces
- JSPAC – Girls In Tech
- Downtown Association Annual Conference – Breeding Innovation Through Community
- Project Lead The Way Annual Conference – Maker Spaces
- Metro Edge Panel Discussion
- CAMEO – Rural Economic Development
- Sierra College NEW STEM Talks For Nontraditional Women’s Careers – Keynote
- Placer County Board Of Education – Keynote
- Sacramento State University – Demystifying STEM – Keynote
- Delta Community College – NEW Event Keynote
- TEDX Livermore – The Power Of People
- Delta Community College – NEW Event – Keynote
Her specialty topic is discussing the power of community spaces and how they greatly affect today’s economy. She is also an expert at grassroots community building, civic engagement, and thinking outside the box.
25 Business Leaders Of The Year – Business Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/print-edition/2012/12/28/leaders-of-the-year- gina-lujan.html
Love at first byte: Tech Co-Founders meet through dating sites – Reuters http://blogs.reuters.com/small-business/2013/02/14/love-at-first-byte-tech-co- founders-meet-through-dating-sites/
2013 Women Who Mean Business Awards – Business Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/12/26/gina-lujan-co-founder-hacker-lab-top-exe.html?page=all
Mom Creates Tech Workspace – News 10 http://www.news10.net/news/article/254218/2/Mom-works-to-raise-Sacramentos- tech-profile
Valley Visions Regional Economic Leader
HackerCare Aims To “Hack” Health Care For Startups
Do-It-Yourself Economic Growth –How Communities Can Cultivate Their Talent and Thrive
States, stand down! Let community broadband innovate.
Tech For All